Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Our amazing surrogate



This is the picture I saw. I needed a job and was looking all over including an online resale community on base. So, I contacted Caryn. We met one morning at their house. Of course you can't help but fall in love with these sweet kids. :-) I also felt pretty comfortable with Caryn. I am very fun and crazy with kids that will be fun and crazy too. But... I have always been so nervous around the parents simply because of my shyness. Caryn ended up hiring me. I was so excited. I had babysat before but one, this was 2 very little ones. Two, with Caryn being a nurse, it was pretty long days. My first day I fell in love with Caryn! She had typed out such a detailed schedule and notes. If you know me, you know I am the queen of schedules and lists. I remember making schedules for my days way back to when I was about 7. Lol.
I remember taking notes throughout the day. I am sure Caryn thought I was crazy and wanted to just say "will you just shut up and go home so I can go to sleep?" :-) But I started off telling her about every little thing throughout the day. "Olyvia ate this food, but not this food" Ethan did the funniest thing!" Haha. I finally cut down my notes to more important things like "what does this word mean?" Because it really is a new language! :-)
After some time Carlos was getting ready to come back from deployment. I was so nervous! I felt like I already knew him because I would talk with the kids about him. We would color pictures for him. It was insisted that I hug "daddy" (daddy doll) good night. And I read this adorable book about throwing stars back and forth with daddy ( pretty sure I cried reading that book the first couple times). But now the real life "daddy" was coming home. Ahhh! I don't really know why I was so nervous ... now I do! Lol I am just kidding Carlos! :-)



I have loved watching these kids grow. Especially these ages. 1 to 3 and 2 to 4. Such big changes. I love them very much. Brian really enjoys them too, and is amazing at helping me when they are here. Even though he "doesn't get paid to watch them" Ahaha!
We had thought about surrogacy in a "what if" scenario, but it is a very scary thing trusting your child for a full 9 months, where depending on what book you read everything in their life affects the baby. But I remember from the very beginning, impressed with the way Caryn takes care of herself. In parenting, she reminds me so much of the type of parents, my parents were. I honestly have so much trust in her, and no more worry than if it was I carrying the baby. Actually even more trust because she has been pregnant before. I do worry about how many times she will hate me and what percentage of those will be true.
I think another large worry is that something happens and splits us. I know this is going to be a very bonding experience since we will see each other so often. However, there are 2 very emotional women. I won't be having my hormones go haywire but I know I will be emotional.
I do ask if anyone has been in this situation before please leave me a comment or email me with any advice to make the emotional part go smoothly.

3 comments:

reannan said...

I wish I had advice. Only love and awe my friend <3

Unknown said...

I think that our friendship has taught me so much on how to stay close in the so many different situations. Really... We have survived roommates, cross country, more roommates, you were my boss, I was your boss (kinda), coworkers, and so much other stuff. And we still like eachother! :) Love you!

AnnaLee Hembry said...

All I can say is, "I am so happy for you!!!" And what a wonderful person Caryn is for doing this for you and Brian. Barry and I have talked about being a surrogat for a close friend if need be. This is like the insider edition here. ha ha ha! :-)
Love you, lady! Can't wait 'til you come back to N. Idaho for a visit.