Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Why Are We Doing This?

After 5 years of marriage, we decided it was time to seriously start thinking about a family. If you don't know my history, I have a liver disease that I have been dealing with for the last 4 years. After speaking to a few different doctors, we were advised to not get pregnant, as the risks of fatality are too great for both the baby and me. This decision was made while Brian was still deployed in Afghanistan. We decided we were going to wait for another year or so to search other options, whether it be surrogacy or adoption.

About a month after Brian returned home, I received a message from a friend, offering to carry a baby for us! I was in tears. I was amazed (and still am) at this wonderful gift she is willing to give. Brian and I talked and prayed about it, and after a couple weeks, gave her our answer: "We want to have a baby with you!" :-) I only told a few people, because I did not want to "jinx" it. I still am nervous about everyone knowing, and I am scared to be so excited. I know there are so many things that could happen that could make it not happen. But I finally decided that I am going to be excited! I am going to be completely open to it. If for no other reason, than to have the prayers of all our friends and family behind us.

Being able to share about this is so exciting. I am so anxious! My friend (Caryn) and I have gotten to know each other over the last 2 years. I have been watching her 2 babies and watched them grow. I could not have picked a better surrogate. I have no fear of trusting her with our baby through the pregnancy. I am excited that she will be able to be part of our families life forever. I am excited that her family is also excited about this, and I am loving getting to know them better. This child she is helping us bring to our lives is going to have so many people that love him/her.

8 comments:

Alyson @Vintage Sunshine said...

Oooh this brings tears to my eyes! I am SOOO excited for you & Brian and SO proud of my sister. I honestly think that it's all a part of His plan and it WILL happen! You are such a special part of Ethan & Olyvia's lives and we are so excited that now we will all have this special connection. Brookelyn keeps talking about having a new "kind of" cousin. I love this all and am beyond happy for you!!

Cindyraella said...

My heart is full Baby Girl. Once again, this is such an amazing gift that Caryn, and Carlos are giving you. Children are a Gift from God, and this is going to be a very different delivery of that gift. Special delivery, from very special people, to very special people, and then back to very special people. Regifting.:D As Grandma, I want to come hold both you girls. Don't you be afraid, You just lift your eyes up to God and get your strength. I pray this blog will help others that will be going through this, and maybe some that will be able to help you through. You know my prayers are with you and Brian, and Caryn and Carlos as this is all beginning.

Laura said...

Ali I am so excited for this journey and so glad you are willing to share this with everyone. I can imagine it was a scary step to step out and share this and a tough step to decide to be open with your thoughts and feelings and I really look up to you for being so brave in doing that. You will help others who may be going through the same thing or thinking, or thinking about going through the same thing, not feel alone. I also agree that "putting yourself out there" also puts yourself out there for more prayers and blessings and that is the number one thing I am excited about! I want an army of prayer warriors behind you and Caryn and Brian and Carlos! I love you Ali and am so very very excited with you (and dont be afraid to be excited, these are the things in life that were made to get excited about :)

Susan Pritchett said...

I have to say as I sit her balling my eyes out, I am sooo proud of my daughter right now! That she and Carlos could give this gift to Ali & Brian is going to be an amazing thing for both families! As the 'surrogate' Grandma, I want to be a part of that big hug when Cindy gets here! I have a feeling there will be many tears of joy during that hug! Your circle of support will be your second greatest gift during this journey! I know that all of us are, and will be praying for both families!

Anonymous said...

Ali you have so many people who love and support you and think this is amazing! I am really lookIng forward to reading your blogs. Many good thoughts, blessings and encouragement coming your way!

Trina said...

I'm so excited and hopeful for you and Brian! and so thankful that the Mata's are helping you! I love you muchly!

Suelp said...

I know my daughters are starting a fund raising effort for Ali & Brian!

So many people have been touched by this story! It's fairly simple really, if 100 people sent $25, its' not that much... even that would end up being a significant help to Ali! My challenge is that anyone who has been touched by this venture so far do just that! Send it to Ali or Caryn today! I'm writing a check right now!

Suelp said...

A footnote... There is a fund raising effort beginning for Ali & Brian!
So many people have been touched by this story! It's fairly simple really, if 100 people sent $25, its' not that much... even that would end up being a significant help to Ali! My challenge is that anyone who has been touched by this venture so far do just that! Send it to Ali or Caryn today! I'm writing a check right now!